The Australian Labour Market Testing has gotten a lot tougher for employers who have been relying on skilled migrants for years. Last week, the Acting Minister for Immigration Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, released a joint media release announcing a new priority skills list and strengthening labour market testing.
From 1 October 2020, employers looking to nominate a foreign worker for a Subclass 482 TSS visa or a Subclass 494 SESR visa will be required to advertise the nominated position in three different places, including the Government’s Jobactive website (www.jobactive.gov.au).
This decision was made to ensure that skilled Australian citizens and permanent residents have access to job opportunities before overseas workers.
Jobactive is a free recruitment site and comes with no additional cost to employers.
The balance advertisements can be on:
- a recruitment website with national reach in Australia (other than Jobactive);
- print media with national reach in Australia;
- radio with national reach in Australia;
- if an accredited sponsor – on the sponsor’s website.
Nomination applications lodged before 1 October do not need to meet this additional LMT requirement. In order to avoid additional delays, employers who have already conducted labour market testing should ensure applications are lodged as soon as possible.
New Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL)
The new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List contains 17 occupations that the Australian government has prioritised as filling critical skill shortages required to support Australia’s economic recovery from COVID-19
– Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
– Construction Project Manager (133111)
– Mechanical Engineer (233512)
– General Practitioner (253111)
– Resident Medical Officer (253112)
– Psychiatrist (253411)
– Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
– Midwife (254111)
– Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
– Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
– Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
– Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
– Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
– Registered Nurses nec (254499)
– Developer Programmer (261312)
– Software Engineer (261313)
– Maintenance Planner (312911)
Employers needing skilled workers in one of these occupations will benefit in two key ways:
1. Travel exemptions apply to workers in the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List if they are sponsored
2. Workers in the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List can expect a faster processing of their employer sponsored visas as they will be prioritised. These include Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482), Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494), Employer Nomination Scheme(ENS) visa (subclass 186) and the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187).
How we can help?
AABD Recrutiment can assit you in finding candidates, with service fees starting at $0.
Our parent company, Australia Migration Services, is a well-established migration firm that handles all visa/migration related matters and has processed numerous employer-sponsored visas, helping both candidates and employers reach a common ground.
If you are looking to hire someone, let us know!